The group is composed of 525 medical professionals—oncologists, thoracic surgery specialists, radiotherapists and basic researchers—and unites 177 public and private centers across Spain. The group has treated over 37.000 patients in different studies and clinical trials, the results of which have been presented and published at national and international congresses and in leading medical journals.
SLCG has focused all its efforts on promoting and enhancing translational research, which takes place in hospitals with the participation of patients, therefore allowing rapid incorporation of advances in the treatment of disease and in daily clinical practice. Among other goals, the Group is focused on the following tasks:
· Promote the multidisciplinary work and coordination between different institutions and specialists.
· Communication and integration of basic and clinical research.
· Collaboration with other cooperative groups in multinational studies.
· Increase quality standards in clinical practice.
· Increase the level of patient care.
· Create specific itineraries for each patient and seek more effective therapies to improve the quality of life of patients and increase survival rates.
· Facilitate the development of protocols and new lines of research.
· Provide early access to new treatments and drugs.
· Strengthen translational research.
The SLCG is in charge of the Communication and Dissemination component of the CLARIFY project with the goal of efficiently disseminating the results and transfering the knowledge generated and gathered in the framework of CLARIFY.